College is a match to be made not a prize to be won.
A Senior Advisor is the lead member of the team helping each Scholar to navigate the college admission process. Advisor meetings begin in September and take place regularly throughout the senior year. Seniors are expected to attend and actively participate in every meeting scheduled with their Senior Advisor.
Senior Advisors assist seniors with the following:
- Confirming a target list of colleges
- Discussing Early Action/Early Decision/Regular Decision application plans
- Reviewing SAT/ACT results and discuss additional testing
- Reviewing admission/scholarship essays
- Navigating the financial aid process, including helping to identify scholarship opportunities
- Meeting deadlines and communicating with colleges as necessary
- Monitoring completion of Senior Program requirements
Click here for more details about the Senior Advisor role and responsibilities. To become a Senior Advisor, you must...
- Submit our volunteer form
- Pass a background check
- Watch our Protection of Children and Youth video and submit the completed assessment
- Sign our Confidentiality Agreement
- Attend an in-person training session
If you are interested in becoming a Senior Advisor or have questions, please visit the Get Involved section of our site, or contact our Senior Program Coordinator, Jenniffer Jamison, at email@example.com.
NEXT STEP FOR SENIOR ADVISORS
Volunteers serving as Senior Advisors: after you have been in contact with the Crosby staff and walked through the steps of becoming a Crosby Scholars volunteer, you may initiate access to the Advisor portal and register for training.
- All Advisors need access to the Advisor portal. Please read these instructions on how to join the Advisor portal.
- Senior Advisor training session will be offered in June, please register for one of these sessions through your Advisor portal, or call the office to register.
- ??Trainings TBD
- After you have attended training, your Advisor portal will be fully activated and you will be granted access to your senior(s) information in the portal.
- Each month you will receive an email from our staff with Senior Advisor Meeting questions in a Google Form and a corresponding deadline. Schedule a meeting with your senior prior to the posted deadline and ask your students the questions from the Google Form during your time together. Before the deadline, please submit the responses through the Google Form.
- Continue this process with every senior to whom you are assigned each month that meetings are required.
As an additional training resource, please consult the Senior Notebook. Senior Advisors can get text reminders regarding Senior Program events and deadlines. Text @csisr2019 to 81010 to sign up.
Documents posted in Senior Portals
- NC College Week--Schools Offering Free College Applications
- Senior Notebook
- Senior Program Requirements
- Senior Advisor Explanation
- 2017 - 2018 SAT/ACT Test and Registration Dates
- Finding the Right College
- UNC Minimum Requirements
- Writing Your Admissions Essay
- Tips on Paying For College
- Your Federal Student Aid ID
- Avoid Financial Aid Scams
- NC Colleges Scholarship Information